Friday, December 13, 2013

Arapahoe High School Shooting this afternoon

My heart is heavy. As I was picking up my older two children from school early this afternoon, I had heard that there was a shooting at Arapahoe High School, which is really close to a good friend's home and which is where people I know attend. When I had heard the news, the school and the area had not been secured yet and the whereabouts of the suspect had not been located.

Since then, I have heard that the gunman is dead; he shot himself with a shotgun. He critically injured a female student and injured another. He had gone in to the school, with shotgun in hand, looking for a particular teacher. Once the teacher heard that the suspect was looking for him, the teacher moved away from the school, hoping to get the shooter to follow him.

Today's shooting at Arapahoe High School, on the back of a movie theater shooting in Aurora last year (July 2012), where 12 were killed and around 70 were injured; and the Columbine High School shooting back in April 1999, killing 12 students and 1 teacher - is really discouraging and disheartening. Colorado is not feeling like the safest place to live, and my heart is heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment