Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I don't know, I DON'T KNOW. Tell me the answer!

How is it that a kindergartner, who could do 24-40 piece jigsaw puzzles at the tender age of 2 1/2, without the assistance of a person or a photograph (of the puzzle), struggle, at the age of 5 1/2, to remember what sounds various letters of the alphabet make or what words start with those letter(s)?! She seems to have a short-term memory the size of a pea, when it comes to letters and sounds.

***

One example to the point. She was writing some word with a 'v' in it. Trying to teach her to sound out the word and figure out the letters of the word, I asked her, "What letter makes the 'v' sound?"

"I don't know."

[Making the 'v' sound again. And again.]

(exasperated) "I DON'T KNOW."

Take some time to think about it. We've been working on each letter of the alphabet, what sound it makes, and what words start with that letter. (How could she NOT remember this letter?! Her name begins with this letter!!) What letter makes the 'vvvv' sound?


"I DON'T KNOW!!! Tell me some words that start with that letter."

Victory. Vase. Violet.

"I don't know. 'Q'?"

(Insert feelings of defeat and frustration here.)

Think about it, please!

(after considerable pause) "Oh, 'v'?"

Yes, Victoria. That is right.

***

Ugh.

I think I'm done.

Send help.

***

This 5 1/2 year old can already do simple addition and subtraction. She has memorized parts of a multiplication table. She can dream up elaborate plots. But, she cannot remember letters of the alphabet and what sounds they make?!

No comments:

Post a Comment