Monday, December 30, 2013

Advice on Maintaining Copyright over Blog Content

Though I am not one of the first to embrace the loads of overwhelming unsolicited advice that gets thrown my way, such as: if the twins are waking up at 4 am, try making their bedtime later; or, if you're having trouble getting a job in what you were trained to do, think outside the box. It isn't that I am too proud for advice or that I already know everything. I will be one of the first to admit that I know very little; I am a little like Socrates in that way - I know that I do not know and I will not make many more knowledge claims than that. Let me attempt to offer just a few explanations, since this is not the focus of my post.

Regarding the attempt or the desire for the twins to wake up later than somewhere between 4 and 4:30 am, let me start by saying that the twins are not my first children; neither is either twin my second child. The twins are my third and fourth children. I take my job as a mother pretty seriously, and I attempt to be as observant of them, as they change and grow, as the diligence and dedication that is needed for a person to complete her or his Doctoral studies.

Of course, I have tried making the twins' bedtime later and made this effort more than once  or one time (for several days in a row, up to close to a week). Instead of getting the desired result of the twins waking up later, they still woke up at the same early time, got less sleep as a result, and remained cranky and irritable for the better portion of that day. Not so fun for me.

What about the unsolicited advice of thinking outside the box in looking for a job? Let me preface my comments by saying that I am not offended by the kind intent and concern behind such a statement. Such a statement was offered by many close to me. With a PhD in my respective discipline, the only realistic line of work that fully utilizes my education, is in academia: teaching college students. However, the job market is extremely tight with a super high supply (not to mention people who have insanely long C.V.'s, detailing numerous publications and including many more years of teaching than I have) and a depressingly low demand for jobs. Add to that the fact that I was a stay-at-home mom for half a decade and that I am a mother of young children, and we might as well bludgeon a nail in the coffin of my career in academia. So, yes,  I had better think of a plan B and a plan C. But, as a single mom of four young children, there are some career limitations. I sole financial provider for my children; the father of the children has shown himself to be unreliable and quite possible incapable of helping with the children's basic necessities (but it baffles my mind that he'll dish out the money - credit card debt? - to buy the older two children's affection, whether by buying a live rabbit or purchasing a Wii or taking them to the movie theater). Anyways, I cannot work jobs, like retail; because that money would barely cover childcare but most certainly would not cover a roof over our heads, put food on the table, or clothe our backs.

This post is turning out to be a bit long-winded. My apologies. Let me now get to my point.

***

I am working on writing a book, a book that will be of interest to the general public.

Here is where you come in, if you can offer any assistance. I would love to include my writing in my blogs, but is there anyway to copyright my writing or protect my writing from getting stolen? Though I have spent years blogging, I have seen more plagiarism than I would like, whilst teaching; and I am very fearful of intellectual property being stolen. Cyberspace or the internet is a particularly difficult place to protect intellectual property, such as photographs or writing. What think ye?

No comments:

Post a Comment